Amazon Shipping

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Foods to avoid for now

I went through and charted foods to avoid for gluten free, low fodmap, histamine intolerance, common food sensitivities,  NASH, and diabetes.  So basically I can't eat ANYTHING!!!!

No just kidding, but it is very limited.  When you finally reach the point that you are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, a true elimination diet is a good way to find out how many issues you have are food related.  I am to that point.  The main issues I want to get under control are brain fog, physical fatigue, my blood sugar, and the upper abdominal pain. 

I have tried a number of diets, primarily for weight loss and blood sugar control. Many were effective for a time, but either I had adverse side effects or did not get meaningful results. 

Atkins dropped weight quickly but made my blood sugar RISE so my doctor told me to stop (my blood glucose level is very sensitive to stress, and the doctor felt that the stress it caused on my body was too high).

17-day diet-- loved it, easy to follow, well detailed, had minimal effect on blood sugar stabilization, and not much weight loss after the first round.

Scarsdale--had great results at first, but my nutritionists did not like it.

Tried shakes--medifast, slimfast, GNC ultra something but could not make myself stick to them.  Fat just was not enough reason to change. 

But this fatigue and brain fog that have taken over are really really bad.  While insulin and getting my blood sugar more controlled has helped with some of the fatigue but not all, the brain fog only gets better when I either do not eat (like for the colonoscopy or when I had a stomach bug) or when I am on doxycycline.   I even asked my doctor to keep me on  doxy because my brain is so clear but alas she will not agree.

This week my brain Is very clear...i am on doxycycline for a severe sinus infection.  So I  cannot say if the eating changes have helped.  I have also not been as disciplined as I need to be to really eliminate all possible reactive foods.

So basically over the next 2 weeks I will be eating only--
-brown rice
-potatoes
- chicken
-fish
-zucchini
-summer squash
-winter squash
-baby lettuce
-coffee (black)
-water
-eggs
-1/2 c oatmeal
-occasional coconut oil or olive oil
-salt, pepper, basil, oregano, tarragon
-occasional pure maple syrup

If my abdominal symptoms continue I will drop to just potatoes, chicken, baby lettuce, and water.
If needed I will go to nothing for a few days and add just one food at a time to see what is kicking the problems into gear.

No comments: